Monday, January 7, 2013

Unplugged

As I was 2 minutes into my morning commute to drop off the kids, I realized I forgot my cell phone. For the first couple of minutes, I panicked!  I'm talking a serious panic attack here!  But after the initial shock of "what if's" wore off, I felt a since of peace and calmness. I mean after all, I'm only going to be gone from the house a total of 25 minutes.... let me say that again 25 minutes!! How silly is it that I felt I couldn't be unplugged for 25 minutes?

For once, I enjoyed the silly conversations Haley and I took part in, played 'slug bug' with Andrew and laughed at Hope's conversation she was having with herself.  She was reciting what she was going to say to the lunch lady today .... "please put this $10 in Hope Mackie's account." After the last child exited from my car, I started to reminisce about the day before smart phones, cell phones and even pagers. The day I would rush home to check my answering machine (yes, answering machine, before the day of voice mail) to see if Jason had called to leave me a message. For a second, it really made my stomach flip and feel like butterflies!  I remembered what a rush it was to race from one location to another just to use the phone to call someone. And even in some crazy moments I would stop to use a payphone! Wow, now that is really going back in the day!
I became so lost in my own thoughts, gazed at the beautiful horizon & all of God's beautiful creations and enjoyed my peace and quiet even if it was only for the last 2 minutes of my drive home. But it all made me wonder, since when did we become so plugged in and feeling that we can't go a second without a smart phone, cell phone or laptop?

For what ever reason, this really made my day.  It put a smile on my face.  So I challenge you to leave your house without your phone for a trip to the gas station, grocery store or just around the block.  Get lost in your thoughts and enjoy the view.  It really is refreshing! 
Now excuse me while I get plugged back in! 

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Maxi Erdmann said...

booyah. I knew you could do it. LOVE this article. So much!! Hits home, for sure.