Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Harlee Grace Mackie



Finally - Today is my due date!!

I woke up this morning and started getting ready for my doctor's appointment. As I was walking around, I kept feeling this "strange" feeling but it didn't feel like your typical contractions. I blew it off and thought it was just soreness from getting up and moving around. Jason and I hop in the truck and I continue to feel this "strange" feeling but now I'm beginning to wonder because I'm not walking around, I'm sitting in the truck. We stop off to get donuts. (Yes, I have to have my donuts.) We are only a few minutes down the road when these "feelings" become so intense that I can't finish my donuts! (can you believe that) At this point, I knew something was going on!

We get on the Hwy and there was so much traffic therefore barely moving! arrrrgh! Jason's trying to make his usual jokes and I told him that I had this sudden urge to cause harm to him. Jason suggested we go straight to the hospital. (maybe in fear I was really going to hurt him!) :p I insisted we go to the doctor's office because I was not going to be sent home from the hospital AGAIN. Dr. Vallery immediately took me back to the exam room to check me out. When fear came over her face, I began to panic myself! She told me not to sneeze or cough and head straight to the hospital. As I'm leaving she also mentioned I may not get an epidural. WHAT?? Is she crazy??? Dr. Vallery called ahead to have the staff ready to complete blood work so that I could get an epidural!

The hospital staff gets me into my room around 10am. By this point, my, strange feelings, contractions are 2 minutes a part! Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to get an epidural!! By 10:30,(yes I was watching the clock for every minute that was passing) the anesthesiologist walks in (sigh of relief) and tells me he will have to give me extra since I'm about to have the baby. Boy, I had no idea that he meant within the 1/2 hour!!! 11:13am Happy Birthday to my 4th baby girl, Harlee Grace Mackie! 10 pounds 3 oz and 23 inches long!

The hospital had NICU on standby. Once again, my 4th baby was born with merconium in the sack. This time was the scariest of all my deliveries! Harlee aspirated SO much that they could not get it out of her lungs in time. At one point, she stopped breathing but luckily the NICU team worked quickly and got her breathing again! I got to hold her less than a minute and only got a couple of pictures of her before they rushed her off to NICU. She spent the next 4 days in NICU on CPAP and antibiotics. She recovered very quickly. Thank goodness!






No comments: